Tuesday, October 13, 2009

23 Days of Miyagi & Me: Dog Hands

In mid January Miyagi and Me were in that magical place between being together and BEING TOGETHER. We went to dinner at friends house and during a game of Apples to Apples we sneakily held hands under the table.

There are few things in this life as wonderful as holding the hand of the guy you like in a sneaky manner that the rest of the room is unaware of.

Anyway. Partway through the game one of the family dogs plopped it's not insubstantial self at my feet looked up at me with big "pet me!" eyes, and I relented. I'm generally not allergic to dogs, but this canine had a bid 'o the old mange and smelled like a wet bear skin rug. I could feel the itch creeping up my arm and into my eyes as I walked in the front door so I wasn't going to take any chances with prolonged exposure. So before Miyagi and I left (together I might add) I let go of his hand, and walked to the kitchen sink proclaiming loudly, "just a moment. I've got to wash the dog off my hand!"

The mutt's puppy dog eyes were nothing compared to the look Miyagi gave me. Quickly I tried to fumble out an explanation, "no, the dog. I mean, I was petting the dog . . . see THIS hand . . .not THIS hand . . .smells weird . . ."

Of course the rest of the group wanted to know what we were laughing about so hard, but we just giggled in that way that new couples are wont to do. This was the first in a long series of accidental insults that plauged our first week of dating. But I think story time is over for today.

No comments: